A Small Dose of Ethics
- An Introduction to Ethical, Legal, and Social Issues in Toxicology
- "One vision or ethical perspective is that we have "an environment in which all living things have the best opportunity to reach and maintain their full genetic potential." - S.G. Gilbert, 2005
- "A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise." - Aldo Leopold, 1949
- "It is the public that is being asked to assume the risks ... the public must decide whether it wishes to continue on the present road and it can only do so when in full possession of the facts ..." - Rachel Carson
- "Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species – man – acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world. " - Rachel Carson
- "When an activity raises threats of harm to the environment or human health, precautionary measures should be taken even if some cause and effect relationships are not fully established scientifically." - Wingspread Statement on the Precautionary Principle, Jan. 1998
Ethics - PowerPoint Presentation
More Information and References
European, Asian, and international Agencies
- Anscombe Bioethics Centre. "The Anscombe Centre is a Roman Catholic academic institute that engages with the moral questions arising in clinical practice and biomedical research."
North American Agencies
- US Environmental Protection Agency Office of Science Advisor. Program in Human Research Ethics (PHRE). PHRE supports "the ethical conduct and regulatory compliance of human subjects research (HSR) conducted, supported, or regulated by EPA."
- American Board of Industrial Hygiene (ABIH). Code of Ethics. Applies to all ABIH-certified professionals, applicants, and examinees. ACGIH®, the American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA), and AIHA's Academy of Industrial Hygiene (AIH).
- Society of Toxicology. Code of Ethics. Example of professional code of ethics.
- Carson, Rachel. Silent Spring. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1994.
- Colborn, T., Dumanoski, D., and Meyers, J.P. Our Stolen Future: Are We Threatening Our Fertility, Intelligence and Survival? A Scientific Detective Story. New York: Dutton, 1996.
- Gilbert, S. G. (2005) "Ethical, legal, and social issues: our children's future". Neurotoxicology 26, 4 (2004): 521-530.
- Gilbert, S.G. and D. L. Eaton. "Ethical, Legal, Social, and Professional Issues in Toxicology". General and Applied Toxicology. Third edition. Bryan Ballantyne, Dr Timothy C. Marrs, Tore Syversen (eds). New York: Wiley, 2009.
- Timothy C. Marrs, Tore Syversen (eds). New York: Wiley, 2009.
- Leopold, A. A Sand County Almanac. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1949.