Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) is also known as - Environmental Illness (EI), Chemical Sensitivity, Chemical Injury, Toxic Injury, Sick Building Syndrome, Toxic Induced Loss of Tolerance (TILT) and Idiopathic Environmental Intolerance (IEI) just to name a few.
Multiple Chemical Sensitivity manifest itself as an unusually severe sensitivity or allergy like reaction. These reactions occur when, a person with MCS, is exposed to simple everyday environmental chemicals and pollutants at levels that are normally deemed safe and well tolerated by the general population.
For a brief overview of the triggers, symptoms, and prevalence of MCS read - Multiple Chemical Sensitivity: An Introduction by Mark J.Donohue.
Important Note: The links below by no means represent an endorsement. Rather they are sources of information pertaining to MCS which the individual reader can decide for themselves if they're pertinent and/or valuable.
Material Written by
Government Agencies and Documents
Private Organizations, Associations, and Foundations
- American Academy of Environmental Medicine - is an international association of physicians and other professionals interested in the clinical aspects of humans and their environment. Valuable in finding a doctor in your area who practices Environmental Medicine and treats MCS.
- Chemical Sensitivity Foundation - the primary goal of the Chemical Sensitivity Foundation is to raise public awareness about multiple chemical sensitivity.
- The National Academies - is comprised of four organizations (National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, Institute of Medicine, National Research Council) and is considered the nations pre-eminent source of high quality, objective advice on science, engineering, and health. Information about MCS, Immuneotoxicology, and Gulf War Syndrome, is disseminated through - The National Academies Press.
- Environmental Illness Network Minnesota - is a community where those with environmental sensitivity can come together to find less-toxic and less immunologically stressful alternatives.
- Health and Environmental Illness - news and information about environmental illness, non-drug treatments, and healthy lifestyle.
- MCS America - their mission is to gain medical, legal and social recognition for MCS as a disorder of organic biological origin induced by toxic environmental insults.
- The Environmental Illness Resource - an informative resource and interactive community site for people suffering from MCS and other chronic multi-system illnesses.
Books: Professional (MD's, ND's, PhD's, RN's, MS's)
- MCS Books: Professional - PDF list (w/links) of books pertaining to multiple chemical sensitivity written by MD's, ND's, PhD's, RN's, and MS's.
Books: Non-Professional (patients, caregivers, advocates)
- MCS Books: Non-Professional - PDF list (w/links) of books pertaining to multiple chemical sensitivity written by patients, caregivers and advocates of MCS.
- MCS Articles - PDF list (w/links) of interesting articles pertaining to multiple chemical sensitivity.
Researchers and Publications
Medical Professionals and Clinics
- William Rea, M.D. - founder and director of the Environmental Health Center - Dallas
- Lisa Nagy, M.D. - medical director of Vineyard Personalized Medicine
- Websites include two power point presentations regarding her personal struggles with MCS which resulted in her becoming an Environmental Medicine practitioner. Dr. Nagy also details her treatment protocol for MCS in these presentations.
- Robin Bernhoft M.D. - medical director of Bernhoft Center for Advanced Medicine
- Website also includes several informative videos with Dr. Bernhft explaining the effects of chemicals on human health. Dr. Bernhoft also talks about is own personal struggle about becoming sick with Environmental Illness.
- Martha Grout, M.D. - founder of Arizona Center for Advanced Medicine - the center is dedicated to the reversal of chronic illness such as MCS
- Allan Lieberman, M.D. - founder of the Center for Occupational and Environmental Medicine - the center's focus is on finding the causes of an illness rather than just treating the effects.
- Doris Rapp, M.D. - is a board certified environmental medical specialist and pediatric allergist.
- Gordon Medical Associates with Eric Gordon M.D., Neil Nathan M.D., & Wayne Anderson N.D. - specializing in the treatment of complex chronic illnesses such as MCS, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Lyme disease, and Mold Toxicity.
- David Buscher M.D. - specializing in the treatment of MCS, chronic fatigue and cardiovascular disease with a new technology called - External Enhanced Counterpulsation (EECP). EECP improves blood flow to every organ and cell of the body, which delivers oxygen, nutrients and removes toxic wastes.
- Daniel Pompa DC - suffered for over four years with MCS, chronic fatigue, anxiety, etc. as a result of mercury poisoning due to a mouth full of amalgams. Through personal research Dr. Pompa's health has greatly improved and now specializes in the treatment of chronic illnesses such as multiple chemical sensitivity.
- Ann McCampbell, M.D. - became ill with MCS in 1989 and has since been a leading advocate for those disabled with MCS.
- Harry Hong PhD - specializes in the treatment of the "Highly Sensitive Body and Mind".
- Breakspear Medical Group (U.K.) - specializing in the treatment of allergy and environmental illness
- Ottawa Environmental Health Clinic (Canada) - specializing in the treatment of environmental illness
Electronic Media: Documentaries & Movies
- Homesick: Living with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity - a documentary film about the innovative solutions that people living with MCS devise in their search for a home that doesn't make them sick. Directed by Susan Abod (2013) Length - 56 minutes
- A Chemical Reaction - a documentary film which examines how Hudson, Quebec, became the first town in North America to ban toxic lawn and garden pesticides. Directed by Brett Plymale (2009) Length - 79 minutes. Watch trailer
- Allergic to the 21st Century (Part 1), (Part 2), (Part 3) - a short documentary piece aired on UK's Channel Four focusing on several people who suffer from MCS and Electromagnetic Sensitivity. Produced by Anne Claire Pilley (2009) Length - 21 minutes
- The Tomato Effect - a documentary film which chronicles ten physicians practicing Environmental Medicine in California and their demise while treating patients who become ill due to chemical exposure. Produced by Faun Kime, (2006) Length - 90 minutes
- The Toxic Clouds of 9/11: A Looming Health Disaster - a documentary film about the health effects (MCS, pulmonary disorders, etc.) suffered by the 9/11 emergency responders and clean-up volunteers. Produced by Alison Johnson (2006) Length - 60 minutes
- Multiple Chemical Sensitivity: How Chemical Exposures May Be Affecting Your Health - a documentary film about those affected by chemical exposures and the medical doctors/researches who treat them. Produced by Alison Johnson (1998) Length - 60 minutes.
- Safe - a feature film (movie) starring Julianne Moore. Safe is about an affluent homemaker in the suburbs who develops multiple chemical sensitivity, Directed by Todd Haynes (1995) Length - 119 minutes
Electronic Media: News Stories & Personal Stories
- Diana Kottle: MCS & Faster EFT - video of Diana explaining her struggles with MCS and eventually a cure (17:30)
- Eve: MCS & Detoxification - video of Eve explaining her struggles with MCS and how she recovered through detoxification (4:58)
- Kristina and How to Heal from MCS - video of Kristina giving some quick tips on the key areas to focus on for recovery from MCS (2:41)
- The Fabry Family - video of Andrea explaining the struggles of her whole family becoming ill and the measures taken to regain their health (3:06)
- Anne Lipscomb - Anne tells her story of spiritual recovery through her website, book, and videos.