Women peacemakers born today
- 1769 Elizabeth Coltman HEYRICK born in Leicester, England (d. 1831). Quaker pacifist; ex-army wife; radical pamphleteer; pioneer pioneering abolitionist; founder of women's reform groups; prison reformer; opponent of capital punishment , and animal abuse.
- 1864 Edith CAVELL born in Swardeson, Norfolk, England (executed St. Gilles, Belgium, 1915). Nurse; executed by Germans for helping escape of Allied soldiers. "Patriotism is not enough, I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone."
- 1864 Selina COOPER (née Coombe) born in Callington, Cornwall (d. 1946). Leading British suffragist; labor organizer; opposed both World Wars and draft; organizer Women's Peace Crusade, WILPF.
Women's peacemaking on this day
- 1916 Direct action by suffragists unrolling banner in Congress, interrupting interrupted President's speech.
- 1922 First woman Appointment of first female career diplomat Lucille AtchesonAtchison.
- 1937 Campaign for World Government begun by Lola Lloyd and Rosika Schwimmer.
- 1990 Betsy Corner arrested in Colrain, MA for entering her home after the IRS seized by IRS for war taxesit for outstanding tax debts.
- 2003 Mexican Deputy Foreign Minister Carmen Moreno Toscano appointed UN Director of Instraw research on womenInternational Research and Training Institute for the Advancement of Women.
- 2007 Code Pink protesters Benjamin and Berry arrested Lahore, India.
- 2011 Uzbek woman Gulsumoy Abdujalilova committed suicide rather than kill for the state.