Women peacemakers born today
- 1807 Elizabeth Margaret CHANDLER born Centre, DE (d. 1834). Quaker; abolitionist; poet and pioneer of women's peace.
- 1869 Henriette Roland HOLST-VAN DER SCHALK born Noordwijk, Netherlands (d. 1952). Dutch poet; friend of Gandhi; nonviolent Communist.
- 1875 Lola Maverick LLOYD born TX (d. 1944). Socialist; feminist; sculptor; pacifist leader; author of peace plan in 1924.
- 1881 Lady Margaret SACKVILLE born Mayfair, London 1881 (d. 1962). Anti-war poet and writer; socialist; pacifist.
- 1943 Tarja HALONEN born Helsinki. Pacifist; Finnish Foreign Minister, 1995-2000; active peacemaking in Northern Ireland; President of European Union, 1999; first female president of Finland, 2000; opposed military alliances, including NATO.
- 1956 Irene KHAN born Dhaka, Bangladesh. First female Secretary General of Amnesty International, 2001-9; UN High Commission for Refugees, 1990, leading missions to India (1991) and Macedonia (1999); recipient of Sydney Peace Prize, 2006; featured in antiwar movie Soldiers of Peace, 2009.
Women's peacemaking on this day
- 1925 Nonviolent leader Sarojini Naidu elected first woman president of Indian National Congress, Kanpur.
- 1968 Claire Culhane began 19-day "Enough/Assez" outdoor film campaign against Vietnam War in Ottawa. (1969-70 photo http://pw20c.mcmaster.ca)